Well folks, I know I haven't been posting much lately. The puppies are growing "like campaign promises," as my book describes it, and becoming more doglike every day. I haven't posted much because they're now in the realm of real puppyhood that anyone who's ever taken home a puppy has already seen. Nonetheless, this does not mean they aren't doing anything interesting!
Day before yesterday, Blue had one ear up. Yesterday, he had two. He looks completely different, especially since this has happened concurrently with his reaching a new developmental level insofar as he has acquired an adult-like trot and carriage of the head. He's also beginning his fear period a few days early, oh joy of joys, and attempts to flee from strangers if not held. This is a puppy who will need a lot of socializing.
Aqua is still very much a puppy, with his head round and puppylike and his ears and paws soft and floppy. The musculature is developing, but more slowly, as he continues to be several days behind his siblings in his (otherwise normal) development. He is waggy and happy, and greets new people easily and with an offer of kisses. He also strongly prefers to poop outside of his area and will consistently ask to be let out, but until yesterday, it was hard to tell whether he wanted to poop or just wanted attention. Also, he would very much like to poop in the hallway instead of outside, and managed to elude Ariel long enough to do so last night while I made dinner. Triumph! He was so pleased.
The dominance hierarchy has settled with Aqua on the bottom, poor guy. Blue growls and barks to drive him back from the food until he's done. I'm going to start feeding them out of separate bowls, something which hadn't previously been necessary. I'm also going to start feeding them meals instead of free-feeding, although their mealtime intake won't be restricted, because I'm tired of them pooping constantly! If I'm not there to let them out, then they dash around in a panic, looking for a better spot, until they reach the end of their fue and detonate wherever they happen to be. Then, naturally, they step in it and track it around, where it dries instantly and sticks like grim death.
Trinity is having a blast with them, though still too rough to let them play unsupervised. The puppies' grips are strong enough now that the three can play tug-o-war together, and that game works very nicely and she is quite polite and friendly with them, as this game doesn't ignite her prey drive.
I know some people may be wondering how Trinity took the loss of two of her puppies when Goldie and Gilly went home last Tuesday. Honestly, she didn't even notice. She didn't look for them or pine for even a moment, and seems to be enjoying having fewer puppies because they have a better family dynamic. I was sad about them leaving, but once they were gone, I found that, although I had lost two puppies, I had gained a lot more intimacy with the remaining dog pack.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So you mean Trinity hasn't decided that the "toy" is her missing puppies? :-)
ReplyDeleteI loved seeing Arrow's ears up. He is so cute (not to say that Aqua isn't, of course).