Friday, October 16, 2009

Welcome!

I decided to start blogging here about our litter of four Belgian Tervuren pups by Lance out of Trinity so that friends, family and prospective owners can all follow the day-to-day progress of the puppies.

Today is day 10 for the babes and they have all learned to stand up, despite being blind, deaf and clueless. Some are struggling to walk as well, wobbling a step at a time with tremendous effort until, exhausted, they curl up on the soft sheepskin nest for a well-earned nap.

Red worked his way over to the edge of the nest, heaved himself to his feet, and then, laboriously, crouched and pooped. I suspect it is no coincidence that he chose to poop on the hated cookie sheet, which is in there to help them get used to walking on metal. Two other puppies have specifically struggled over to the papers to potty - I'd read that they will do this but am still amazed to see these blind, fumbling infants still trying their hardest to potty away from their preferred sleeping area (the soft blanket).


the intrepid pooper



The main drama continues to be the hourly nursing. You'd think that, with 9 working nipples and only 4 puppies, the pups would be able to nurse calmly, but no... The superior rear nipples are highly coveted and fierce competition turns the nest into a war zone whenever Mom's Cafe comes to town.

I will be posting here whenever anything interesting happens, so if you want to follow the puppies' prorgress, please check back often. I hope to be able to post at least once a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment